Wilmington College defines an online course week as one which commences at 12:00 A.M. each Monday and ends at 11:59 P.M. the following Sunday. Students enrolled in Online Synchronous courses must participate in scheduled online synchronous sessions as well as log in to the course(s) on Blackboard and complete any assignment(s) or other academic activities, to be determined by the instructor.
Attendance is required for all class weeks. In the case of online courses, “absences” shall be defined as “non-participation.” Non-participation may be defined as but is not limited to
- Not attending scheduled online synchronous sessions.
- Not following the instructor’s participation guidelines as stated in the syllabus.
- Not submitting required assignments.
- Not contributing meaningful discussion in required chat rooms, discussion boards, or other online forums.
- Not participating in scheduled activities; or
- Failure to communicate with the instructor on academic related matters as required. Failure to attend as defined above constitutes an absence.
It should be noted that simply logging into the course does not constitute participation. Students must demonstrate that they are actively participating in the course by submitting required assignments, attending scheduled synchronous sessions, contributing to discussion forums, etc. as outlined above.
Faculty will specify what role, if any, class attendance plays in grading and the specific penalties for excessive absences as the professor defines in the syllabus.