Discrimination is an action based on prejudice on the basis of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, ability, national origin, veteran/military status, or any other status protected by law that results in unfair treatment of people. Discriminatory behavior makes a distinction between people on the basis of class or category without regard to individual merit.
Harassment consists of unwelcome conduct, whether verbal, physical, or visual, that is based upon a person’s protected status, such as race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, ability, national origin, veteran/military status, or any other status protected by law.
Harassment may be directed at a person of any gender and includes, but is not limited to:
- Verbal harassment, such as derogatory or vulgar comments regarding a person’s protected status including race, color, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, disability, or age; any verbal comment such as sexually suggestive or obscene comments, threats, slurs, epithets, and jokes about gender-specific traits.
- Written harassment, e.g., such as sexually suggestive or obscene letters, notes or invitations, displaying sexually suggestive objects or pictures, cartoons, posters, or magazines, or any other written or graphic material regarding a person’s protected status including race, gender, religion, national origin, disability, or age.
- Visual contact, such as leering, staring at another person’s body or any type of obscene gesture.
- Physical harassment, such as hitting, pushing, aggressive physical contact, or threats to take such action.
Wilmington College prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, veteran/military status, disability, national origin, or any other status protected by law. The College is committed to maintaining an environment that is free from sexual harassment and harassment based on race, religion, age, color, disability, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, veteran/military status, or any other status protected by law.
No College organization, team, faculty member, staff person, student or alumni shall engage in or condone discriminatory or harassing behavior that:
- Has the purpose or effect of creating an intimidating, hostile, or offensive environment;
- Has the purpose or effect of unreasonably interfering with an individual’s ability to meet his or her responsibilities or to participate in university activities; or
- Otherwise adversely affects an individual’s opportunities at Wilmington College.
It is also a violation of this policy for a person to engage in any act of reprisal against a person for filing a complaint of harassment or discrimination or participating in an investigation of harassment or discrimination under this policy.