Wilmington College is committed to achieving and sustaining diversity. It seeks to create a campus culture of inclusion and a learning environment that supports educating students who will work, live, and serve in a diverse nation and world. This statement is consistent with and expands upon the words in the College’s mission statement that invoke the historic Quaker commitment to social justice and respect for all persons and that express a desire to provide educational opportunities of high quality to students with varying needs, abilities and backgrounds.
Moreover, this statement is the foundation for all diversity initiatives undertaken at Wilmington College. It defines diversity, delineates our diversity goals, and describes diversity’s benefits.
The term “diversity” has many meanings. While the term is used to refer to differences, we intend for diversity to be an inclusive term. Its emphasis at Wilmington College will be inclusion related to racial and ethnic background, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, and economic class.
The following goals will foster increased commitment and align resources to increase diversity and realize more fully the benefits of diversity at Wilmington College:
- Create a supportive environment for all who work and learn at Wilmington College and build a campus community that respects the inherent dignity of all persons, discourages bigotry and strives to learn from differences in people, ideas and opinions.
- Recruit and retain individuals who will contribute to making Wilmington College a diverse community.
- Include within the curriculum and co-curriculum programs of study and activities that explore the experiences, perspectives, and contributions of various cultures, groups, and individuals.
- Prepare students to work, live, serve and lead in a diverse and multicultural world.
Benefits of Diversity
In pursuit of these goals, Wilmington College will enhance and deepen the benefits of diversity for its campus community, especially for its students. We know that diversity:
- Enriches the educational and work experience by providing all members of the campus community with the opportunity to learn from individuals who differ from them.
- Promotes personal growth and a healthy society by challenging stereotyped preconceptions and helping students learn to communicate effectively with people from varied backgrounds.
- Strengthens communities and the workplace by preparing students for citizenship in an increasingly complex, pluralistic society and fostering mutual respect and teamwork.
- Enhances the country’s economic competitiveness by effectively developing and using the talents of all citizens.
Wilmington College aspires to become more diverse and to extend the benefits of diversity to all members of the campus community.
(Reviewed and approved by Faculty Advisory Committee, President’s Council, faculty, administrative staff, and Student Government Association: March 1, 2002 through April 2, 2002.)
(Reviewed and approved by Wilmington College Board of Trustees: April 20, 2002.)